Friday, January 15, 2010

BRRRRRRRR Polar Plunge for Special Olympics


So it went like this, "hey Eric, do want to go to Hyrum Lake and jump in it, sure Dad that sounds like fun!?????? We did this for Special Olympics, I have a Sergeant that works for me, she is very involved in Special Olympics so I wanted to support her in this endeavor. Several of us from my department went in. My new Chief, two Captains, me and another Lieutenant. Couple of us brought our kids. When we left the house it was foggy and 22 degrees. We arrived, they were scraping the water for the ice that had built up, they said they have to do that every 15 or so minutes. The ice on the lake was over 13 inches deep and the water was a balmy 33 degrees. That made me feel better, at least it wasn't freezing.

Here's our group, don't we look nice!!!!! and DRY!!!!!


Dad are you sure that we should do this don't you think your taking this father son bonding crap too far? Son when I have ever gone too far? Besides this is for a good cause. It will be fun!!! Actually neither one of us hesitated at all we just.....



Ran and jumped in.





Cowa bunga dude........




HOLY $%*&^%#$#@$% THATS FREAKIN COLD!!!!!!!







I can't feel my body, my legs won't work, I can't get a breath, probably because of the lumps in my throat.







Almost there, BRRRRRR. Now we ran off to the heated tents to dry off. Eric and I had a great time. It was fun and I plan on doing it again next year. Shannon is going to join us. We'll try to talk Michele into it also. I'm sure she'll go in, she loves the cold.







4 comments:

jamie said...

I have never understood that polar swim. . . it just does not seem like a good idea, great for memory and bonding. WOW! I am freezing just thinking about it.

Carolee Brown said...

Crazy that's all I can think of. Crazy, Crazy, Crazy. Glad your still alive.

jan said...

You guys are nuts!! But so much fun, give Joe a ski rope to hold onto and he will do it too. Okay it would probably have to be a bit warmer. You guys are awesome: )

sharpsnaps said...

The insanity I will never understand. My husband goes willingly....but with skis and a dry suit on. Glad you're having fun together.